Saturday, April 14, 2012

Breakfast Tray

I have wanted a breakfast tray for a while, but they seemed a little expensive... even for the plain, not-so-durable ones from Target or Walmart.  After checking out sites like Crate & Barrel and Pottery Barn, I realized I would have to make my own in order for a breakfast tray to fit in my budget!  At Target and Walmart they run from $10-$20.  The other stores started around $50 and went up to $89.

I found a very plain wooden tray at AC Moore craft store.  At first I was planning to paint the tray a solid color, but then I got to thinking... I could use a piece of scrapbook paper and Mod Podge to really decorate it!  I choose a piece of scrapbook paper and coordinating paint, then went to work!  I painted the entire tray and allowed it to dry over night.  In the morning, I applied Mod Podge glue to the back of the scrapbook paper and a little to the tray itself, then secured the paper.  After ensuring all bubbles were removed and the surface was smooth, I applied Mod Podge to the entire surface of the tray.  The Mod Podge is a glue that also works as a sealer.  I added little ribbons to the handles for detail.

I'm very pleased with how this project turned out!  I plan on making a few more!  The cost of this project... Tray- $5.99 (I had a 50% off coupon for one item so the tray was about $3) Paint- 44cents and Scrapbook paper was 50cents... I used Mod Podge left over from a previous project, but it runs about $7 in craft stores.  My total was about $5... and that definitely fit the budget!



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I oopsed! I was thinking that I couldn't see the details.Silly me. I like your tray. The paper is really pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete